Combines geographic boundary files for communities, cities and tracts in San Diego County.
- tracts. Tract census information
- places. Census place information, which includes incorporated cities and unincorporated towns like Julian and Romona
- places_boundaries. Census place boundaries, which includes incorporated cities and unincorporated towns like Julian and Romona
- city_boundaries. Boundary shapes for cities
- sd_community_boundaries. Boundary shapes for SD City communities
- county_boundaries. Boundary shapes for unincorporated County areas
- district_boundaries. Boundaries for special districts, such as the Promize Zone
- county_communities_boundaries. Boundaries for county communities
- combined_boundaries. Boundary shapes for all communities, county regions and cities combined
- tract_boundaries. Tract boundary shapes
- tract_communities. Link between tracts and cities, communities and county regions, with one record per tract. No geometry.
- sd_county_boundary. Boundary shape for SD County
This package combines three SANGIS datasets for communities and cities in San
Diego county into a single file, in the
communities resource, with Census
tract definitions for San Diego count. The source files are:
- Municipal boundaries, of incorporated cities and the rest of the county
- Communities in unincorporated county areas
- Communities in San Diego.
- Census tract boundaries for 2016
- Census places and counties
In addition to simply combining these four boundary files, the dataset also
links tracts into the other three regions, in the
tracts_all_regions datasets. Using these datasets, you can get all of the
tracts in Escondido, or all of the tracts in the San Diego community of
Clairemont. The join is performed by containment of the Internal Point, which
is defined by the census for each tract. Because tract boundaries are not
always coincident with municipal boundaries, there are many cases where the
collection of tracts for a city or community will have a different boundary
than the actual region. Smaller, less densely populated regions, like San
Marcos, or particuarly afected.
tracts_links dataset is probably the most useful. It joins tracts to
regions, and has two sets of columns, for city and community. This dataset
includes every tract in the county, and each appears only once. If a tract is
included in both a city and community, then there is a name and code for both
the city columns and the community columns. Regions not in a city have a city
value of “County” and a city code of “CN”.
communities dataset, has a
type field to distinguish the types of
area, which is one of:
tracts_all_regions dataset may have more than one row for each tract;
the tract will appear once for each of the four region types that it is in, but
no tract is in more than 2 regions. For instance, a tract in a community of San
Diego will appear twice, once for the community, and once for the City.
- Added county outline
- Broke out seperate files for non-tract geographies.
- zip http://library.metatab.org/sandiegodata.org-geography-2018-13.zip
- csv http://library.metatab.org/sandiegodata.org-geography-2018-13.csv
- source https://github.com/sandiegodata/planning-database.git
Accessing Packages in Metapack
import metapack as mp # ZIP Package pkg = mp.open_package('http://library.metatab.org/sandiegodata.org-geography-2018-13.zip') # CSV Package pkg = mp.open_package('http://library.metatab.org/sandiegodata.org-geography-2018-13.csv') resource = pkg.resource('resource_name') # Get a resource df = resource.dataframe() # Create a pandas Dataframe gdf = resource.geoframe() # Create a GeoPandas GeoDataFrame
Urls used in the creation of this data package.
- censusgeo://2016/5/CA/140. Tract boundary shapes
- file:data/community-acronyms.csv. Acronyms for communities
- shape+file:data/Promise_Zone_SD.zip. Promise zone boundary
- shape+file:data/Municipal_Boundaries.zip. Converted source of boundaries for cities in San Diego county
- shape+file:data/Community_Plan_CN.ZIP. Converted source of boundaries for communities in unincorporated San Diego county
- shape+file:data/Community_Plan_SD.zip. Converted source of boundaries for communities in the city of San Diego.
- metapack+http://library.metatab.org/census.gov-counties-2017-2.csv#counties. County boundaries shapes
- censusgeo://CA/place. Census Defined Places
Last Modified 2019-03-02T19:18:39