An extract of a subset of columns from the FFIEC Census Flat File, including flags that indicate a tract is distressed.
ffiec.gov-census-tract-1.5.2. Modified 2020-06-24T21:57:54
Resources | Packages | Documentation| Contacts| References| Data Dictionary
- ffiec_distressed. Distressed tracts
This dataset extracts the columns for distressed tracts from the FFIEC compilation of census data, for use in their FFIEC Census Windows Application. It includes only 25 columns, the first 17 columns of the file, which have geographic identifiers, median income, and three population totals. The reamaining 8 columns hold flags to indicate if a tract is distressed.
- 1205 Identifies Income Level Indicator
- 1206 Meets current year’s poverty CRA distressed criterion?
- 1207 Meets current year’s unemployment CRA distressed criterion?
- 1208 Meets current year’s population CRA distressed criterion?
- 1209 Meets current year’s remote rural (low density) CRA underserved criterion?
- 1210 Meets at least one of the previous year’s CRA distressed criteria?
- 1211 Meets previous year’s CRA underserved criterion?
- 1212 Meets at least one of current or previous year’s CRA distressed/underserved tract criteria?
The 2017 file, as distributed by FFIEC, is broken: it includes a ZIP file with in the ZIP file, which Metapack cannot read. This file has been manually extracted and stored in the source package.
- File information Description of the 2018 census file, including all columns. Other years are similar
- Documentation Page
|Column Name||Data Type||Description|
|geoid||string||ACS Geoid for tract|
|year||integer||Key field. HMDA/CRA collection year|
|msa_md_code||integer||Key field. MSA/MD Code|
|state||integer||Key field. FIPS state code|
|county||integer||Key field. FIPS county code|
|tract||integer||Key field. Census tract. Implied decimal point.|
|principal_city_flag||integer||Principal city flag. 0=not principal city 1=principal city|
|small_county_flag||string||Small county flag. T=tract record S=small county I=Island Area|
|split_tract_flag||string||Split tract flag. N=tract number occurs w/in one MA S=split between MAs|
|demo_flag||string||Demographic data flag. X=Tot persons/population or median family income is 0 D=tot persons/population and median family income are not 0 I=Island Area|
|urban_rural_flag||string||Urban/rural flag. U=urban R=rural M=mixed I=Island Area|
|msa_family_income||integer||Median Family Income of MSA in which tract resides|
|msa_household_income||integer||Median Household Income of MSA in which tract resides|
|tract_household_income||integer||Median household income for tract.|
|tract_family_income_pct||number||Tract median family income as a percentage of the MSA/MD median family income. Two decimal places, truncated.|
|ffiec_median_income||integer||FFIEC Estimated MSA/MD Median Family Income|
|female||integer||Total female population|
|male||integer||Total male population|
|nonwhite||integer||Total population minus white alone population|
|minority_percent||integer||Minority population as percent of tract population rounded to two decimal places|
|income_level||integer||Identifies Income Level Indicator (low, mod, mid, upper income areas)|
|poverty_distressed||string||Meets current year’s poverty CRA distressed criterion? ‘X’ – Yes , ‘ ‘ (blank space) – No|
|unemployment_distressed||string||Meets current year’s unemployment CRA distressed criterion? ‘X’ – Yes , ‘ ‘ (blank space) – No|
|population_distressed||string||Meets current year’s population CRA distressed criterion? ‘X’ – Yes , ‘ ‘ (blank space) – No|
|rural_underserved||string||Meets current year’s remote rural (low density) CRA underserved criterion? ‘X’ -Yes, ‘ ‘ (blank space) – No|
|last_year_distressed||string||Meets at least one of the previous year’s CRA distressed criteria? ‘X’ – Yes , ‘ ‘ (blank space) – No|
|last_year_underserved||string||Meets previous year’s CRA underserved criterion? ‘X’ – Yes , ‘ ‘ (blank space) – No|
|current_prior_distressed||string||Meets at least one of current or previous year’s CRA distressed/underserved tract criteria? ‘X’ – Yes, ‘ ‘ (blank space) – No|
Urls used in the creation of this data package.
- ffiec_census_2013. 2013 Census Flat File
- ffiec_census_2014. 2014 Census Flat File
- ffiec_census_2015. 2015 Census Flat File
- ffiec_census_2016. 2016 Census Flat File
- data/Census2017.zip#*.csv. 2017 Census Flat File
- ffiec_census_2018. 2018 Census Flat File
- ffiec_census_2019. 2019 Census Flat File
- s3 s3://library.metatab.org/ffiec.gov-census-tract-1.5.2.csv
- csv http://library.metatab.org/ffiec.gov-census-tract-1.5.2.csv
- source https://github.com/metatab-packages/ffiec.gov-census-tract.git
Accessing Data in Vanilla Pandas
import pandas as pd ffiec_distressed_df = pd.read_csv('http://library.metatab.org/ffiec.gov-census-tract-1.5.2/data/ffiec_distressed.csv')
Accessing Package in Metapack
import metapack as mp pkg = mp.open_package('http://library.metatab.org/ffiec.gov-census-tract-1.5.2.csv') # Create Dataframes ffiec_distressed_df = pkg.resource('ffiec_distressed').dataframe()