Water quality data for San Diego county beaches.
- beachwatch-sd. Beachwatch program for San Diego county
The Beachwatch data set has four bacteria measurements from 172 stations on the coast of San Diego county, from July 1998 to Decenber 2013. The four measurements are:
- Coliform, Total 66992
- Coliform, Fecal 65827
- Enterococcus 65010
- E. coli 4428
There are two units for the measurements:
- MPN/100 mL: “Most Probable Number”
- cfu/100mL: “Colony forming units”. Number of viable bacteria, excluding the dead ones.
From Cascade Analytical:
What does CFU and MPN mean? A: CFU stands for 'Colony Forming Units' and refers to the number of viable bacterial cells in a sample per unit of volume. For example: 50 CFU/100 mL means 50 Colony Forming Units per 100 mL of sample. It is different from the direct microscopic counts that include both dead and living cells. MPN stands for 'Most Probable Number' and refers to a method that uses dilution cultures and a probability calculation to determine the approximate number of viable cells in a given volume of sample. It is useful when samples contain too few organisms for agar plates to be used or when organisms will not grow on agar. For example: 50 MPN/100 mL means that the Most Probable Number of viable cells in 100 mL of sample is 50.
I haven’t found traditional data dictionary documentation, but there are controlled vocabulary lists online for data submitters, which explain a lot of the columns.
- https://www.waterboards.ca.gov/water_issues/programs/beaches/beach_water_quality/beaches_program.htmlProject Overview Page
- https://ceden.waterboards.ca.gov/AdvancedQueryToolCEDEN advanced query tool page
- https://ceden.waterboards.ca.gov/Metadata/ControlledVocab.phpControlled vocabulary search page
- https://ceden.waterboards.ca.gov/Metadata/get_lu_data.php?format=html&table=AnalyteLU&include_all=yesAnalyte controlled vocabulary
- https://ceden.waterboards.ca.gov/Metadata/get_lu_data.php?format=html&table=MethodLU&include_all=yesMethod controlled vocabulary
- https://ceden.waterboards.ca.gov/Metadata/get_lu_data.php?format=html&table=ResultQualityLU&include_all=yesResult Qualifier controlled vocabulary
- https://ceden.waterboards.ca.gov/Metadata/get_lu_data.php?format=html&table=QA_LU&include_all=yesQA controlled vocabulary
- csv http://library.metatab.org/ceden.waterboards.ca.gov-beachwatch-sandiego-2.csv
- zip http://library.metatab.org/ceden.waterboards.ca.gov-beachwatch-sandiego-2.zip
- source https://github.com/san-diego-water-quality/water-datasets.git
Accessing Packages in Metapack
import metapack as mp # ZIP Package pkg = mp.open_package('http://library.metatab.org/ceden.waterboards.ca.gov-beachwatch-sandiego-2.zip') # CSV Package pkg = mp.open_package('http://library.metatab.org/ceden.waterboards.ca.gov-beachwatch-sandiego-2.csv') resource = pkg.resource('resource_name') # Get a resource df = resource.dataframe() # Create a pandas Dataframe gdf = resource.geoframe() # Create a GeoPandas GeoDataFrame
Last Modified 2018-08-09T14:59:01